Thursday, October 25, 2012

You can be anyone for a day!



If I had to pick a theme for this past N.Y. Comic Con, this would be it: Be anyone for a day. Or anything for that matter, anything goes. In fact I think the Cosplayers outnumbered those who didn't dress up at the Con! Estimated attendance at 100,000+ that's a lot of costumes! But the most stunning event to me happened Sat at the south staircase to the lower level. Here there was a gathering that took over one side of the staircase by the windows. I've been to many cons but never seen this particular group before so I inquired what was going on. It turns out these folk where from a web comic that I never heard of called Homestuck! And boy were they organized, they drew attention of passers by with loud roars from time to time. You will know them by the candy colored horns and grey appearance most of them wore. Led by a guy dressed in black with blue markings, they organized into mythic groups and families from the series to take family pictures! Now this is the kind of devotion I would love fans to have of my work one day, this is for sure! But this goes to the main fun of shows like this, and that is that for a day you can be someone else, not worrying about your own struggles and losing yourself in the moment. That for a day you can be that superhero or Villain or movie star or even a droid. For a day you can be a kid again who dressed up as anyone on Halloween. For a day there can be magic, for a day you can be anyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment